Synthetic Fragrance: The New Second-Hand Smoke
We all want our homes, cars and bathrooms to smell nice. Which is why air freshener sales in Australia are skyrocketing. In fact, 1 in 5 Australians are purchasing a new air freshener every 4 weeks. Unfortunately *most* mass produced air fresheners are full of all sorts of nasty chemicals.
If you have one handy, read the ingredients list. Is the term ‘fragrance’ listed? We’re going to let you in on an industry secret the big wigs don’t want you to know. Under FDA law, manufacturers aren’t required to list ingredients they use in their so-called ‘fragrance’. This little loophole enables them to add whatever toxic / cost effective chemicals they see fit to their concoction.
Generally speaking? If you find the term ‘fragrance’ listed in any household/beauty goods, you should avoid the item like the plague. Here is just a sample of chemicals that are commonly found in ‘fragrance’:
- Synthetic Musks: these chemicals are used to add a sweet smell to fragrance. Studies have linked these to hormone disruption and are most prevalent in breast milk, umbilical cord blood and body fat. Scary stuff!
- Parabens: Again, this synthetic is a hormone disruptor and use of this chemical can have devastating effects on women. Paraben use has been linked to breast cancer and alarmingly, reproductive issues.
- Phthalates: A known carcinogenic, phthalates have been found to disrupt reproduction and studies have linked them to birth defects, kidney and liver damage.
It seems criminal manufacturers can include these chemicals in everyday perfumes, air fresheners and cleaning products. But the fact remains, they can and they are using them. Until the law is changed and the industry cleans itself up (literally!), we need to educate ourselves. It’s no coincidence that cancer, reproductive health, asthma and skin irritations are on the rise. Toxic chemicals are lurking in every corner of our society.
Thankfully, your home environment is something you can control. We’ve outlined 3 quick swaps you can replicate today to keep everything smelling delicious without inhaling nasties.
Rid yourself of that chemical smell with a homemade reed diffuser. These are so simple to make and most of all, they’re free of nasties. Wash a used jar (your kitchen is bound to be full of these) and fill with water. Add 3 bamboo sticks or twigs from the garden. Then choose your favourite essential oil to create the mood.
- Wild Orange, Patchouli and Lavender for an everyday calming scent
- Mint, Lemongrass and Ylang Ylang for an energising scent
- Peppermint and Rosemary for a breathe easy scent
We have made it a mission of ours to find a healthy solution that will keep your car smelling fresh without exposing you and your family to the host of toxic chemicals that are commonly found in car air fresheners. We’re thrilled to let you know, we’ve just released our all new Botanical Car Diffusers. Available in 3 heavenly scents including: Refresh (Forest Mint), Nurture (Citrus Vanilla) and Serenity (Wild Rose).
To eliminate odours rather than mask them, we’ve developed an all-new Gym Sanitiser & Deodoriser. It’s been independently lab-tested to kill 99.99% of germs commonly found on gym equipment and gear. Made from all natural, 100% plant based ingredients and smelling of Lemon Myrtle, Lavender & Lemongrass, you really can’t go wrong here.
It can also be used in the bathroom and on surfaces such as yoga mats, door handles and more.
There’s no need to put up with smelly homes, cars or harmful chemicals when there are so many options available to you. You can choose 100% natural air care every-time.