Crepes – a classic and very versatile French dish that can be enjoyed day or night, savoury or sweet, top with just about anything you can imagine.
Simply swapping regular flour with buckwheat flour makes the classic crepes feel a whole lot healthier and “gluteny”. We assure you it actually tastes better. Here we’ve paired the crepes with baked-on eggs and topped with smoked salmon and creme fraiche just to make it a little more fancy.
150g (1 cup) Buckwheat Flour
10 eggs, 2 beaten, 8 whole
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- Place flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in beaten eggs and milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add 250ml water and whisk. Batter should be thin enough to just coat your finger. Add more water if needed.
- Cover and stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a slightly greased heavy-based pan or crepe pan over medium heat.
- Pour in 60ml of batter, swirl pan to coat base.
- Crack an egg into the centre and cook for 3 minutes until egg is just set.
- Fold in sides of the crepe so that the egg is partly exposed.
- Top with smoked salmon and serve with micro-greens/side salad.